1. What documents should I bring in order to travel in Tajikistan?
You need passport, Tajik visa and GBAO permit, if you want to visit the Pamir
2. It is obligatory to make copies of documents before visiting Tajikistan?
The copies of documents will help you to solve issues in case of passport loss and other unpleasant situations.
3. If I face travel issues in my tour in Tajikistan, who should I rely on?
In this case, you must contact with your tour operator and guide.
4. What should I do if I lost my passport?
You must directly go at the police station and get report. After that you will need to go at the embassy of your country and receive approval list of home return.
5. Are there any money exchanges in Tajikistan?
It is available in banks.
6. Can I use credit cards and ATM being in Tajikistan?
Yes. MasterCard and Visa are available in restaurants, shops and hotels, but not in villages.
7. What does transfer mean?
Meeting travelers from airport to hotel and vice versa.
8. For how much time I can arrive from airport to hotel?
It is will take about 10-15 minutes.
9. Does it make sense to take large or small amount of money in Tajikistan?
It is better to take 50-100 $ or euros with you. The exchange will not be low.
10. In case of one traveler's cancellation, can we make replace of him?
This issue must be review by your tour operator.
11. Is it obligatory to be vaccinated before visiting Tajikistan?
Yes. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and WHO (World Health Organization) recommend the following vaccinations for Tajikistan: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.
12. How Tajik national currency is called?
It is Somoni.
13. What is the official religion of Tajikistan?
Tajikistan has secular ruling, but there are about 90% of Muslim citizens.
14. What languages are primarily in Tajikistan?
Tajik - national language
Russian - official language
The most popular one is English, among foreign languages as well as 7 different Pamiri dialects.
15. What does individual tour mean?
A special tour chosen by one traveler according to his requirements.
16. What does homestay mean?
Accommodation in a house of locals. They are members of PECTA (Pamir Eco-Cultural Tourism Association) or ZTDA (Zeravshan Tourism Development Association). Conditions in such places differs from each other.
17. What does single supplement mean?
In this case, solo travelers have to pay a charge to occupy the room alone; for the "privilege" of not having to share with someone else.
18. What do these mean? ROH, SGL, DBL, TRPL, QDPL, Ex. Bed, CHD, RO, RR, BB, HB, FB, ALL, Al, UAL, UAI?
ROH (run of the house) - accommodation in a room of any category at the discretion of the hotel.
SGL (single) - single accommodation.
DBL (double) - double accommodation; by default, a room can have either one double bed or two separate single (sometimes half) beds (twin).
TRPL (triple) - triple accommodation; a room can be both one double bed and one single bed, or three separate single beds (rarely).
QDPL (quadruple) - quad accommodation.
Ex. Bed (extra bed) - extra bed: folding bed or, more rarely, stationary.
CHD (child) - a child (usually up to 12 years old).
RO (room only) - accommodation without meals.
RR (room rate) - only accommodation without meals.
BB (Bed and Breakfast) - only breakfast is included.
HB (half board) - the price includes breakfast and dinner (sometimes breakfast and lunch).
FB (full board) - the price includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
ALL, Al (all inclusive) - breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, snacks, drinks, various additional services.
UAL, UAI (ultra all inclusive) - an extended version of "All Inclusive": breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, snacks, drinks, various additional services, an additional assortment of dishes and desserts, additional free food in a la carte restaurants.
19. Can I find vegetarian food in Tajikistan?
In Dushanbe and Khujand, you will not have any problem. In villages, there are lack of vegetarian food.
20. Where can I find a special menu if I have a diet?
You have to talk about it with your manager.
21. What does Half Board and Full Board mean?
Half board - dinners
Full board - all lunches and dinners
22. Where can I get acquainted with Tajik lifestyle?
Being in Tajikistan you will have opportunity to see local's life anywhere here. Tajik people are very hospitable and will meet you with open heart. You can also visit Bartang Valley and see valleys in the western Pamir.
23. Can I see horse games in Tajikistan?
Horse riding games (Buzkashi) are available in all places of Tajikistan as well as you can visit the Eastern Pamir Horse Festival in Murgab in summer.
24. Where can I buy souvenirs?
You can buy them in "Rukhom" shop or in hotels and streets.
25. I would like to visit Tajik bazaars. Are there any rules?
There are actually no rules. If you want to take photos, it is better to ask permission.
26. What are national holidays in Tajikistan?
13 holidays in Tajikistan were approved:
January 1 - New Year;
January 7 - Christmas (Orthodox Christmas);
February 23 - Defenders of the Fatherland Day;
March 8 - International Women's Day;
March 21 - Nooruz;
June 27 - National Unity Day;
May 1 - Labor Day;
November 6 - Constitution Day of the Republic of Tajikistan;
May 9 - Victory Day;
September 9 - Independence Day of Tajikistan;
There are Muslim holidays:
Qurban Bayram and Ramazan are resolute by the lunar calendar.
27. What cars are used in Tajikistan tours?
Before we used Minivans Hyundai Starex, now we have the following off road cars as:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 105
- Toyota 4Runner
- Nissan Patrol
28. I would like to travel in Tajikistan with my pets. Is it possible?
Yes, if your pets have a veterinarian health certificate with the seal of the local Board of Health. Also they must to be vaccinated against rabies within 12 months and 30 days prior to arrival.
29. I want to travel in Tajikistan with alcohol drinks. Can I?
Yes, according to your airline regulations.
30. Is it acceptable to buy alcohol drinks in Tajikistan?
Yes, it is. You have to be more than 18 years old.
31. Do I need to take a travel adapter in Tajikistan?
In Tajikistan the power plugs and sockets are of type C and F. The standard voltage is 220 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz.
32. Is it permitted to take photos in Tajikistan?
In some places you will need to ask permission, as well as pay.
33. Can I safely walk in the evening?
Yes. Tajikistan is safe country.
34. Does tap water dangerous in Tajikistan?
Yes. We don't recommend to drink it. It is better to boil it and buy bottled water.
35. Is it allowable to take Tajik money as a souvenir?
Yes, it is.
36. What should I avoid in Tajikistan?
- To smoke in public places are forbidden. There are special places where you can do it.
- To drop bread on the ground is restricted.